Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.00
- £16.40 per pair of elastic hosiery
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £104.00
- 3-month PPC: £29.10
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
- You can Buy or Renew a PPC in certain chemists. Chemists that offer this service in Witham are BORNO CHEMISTS LTD, 124 NEWLAND STREET,CM8 1BA. LLOYDS PHARMACY, 5 NEWLAND STREET, CM8 2AF & BOOTS UK LIMITED, 42 NEWLAND STREET, CM8 2AR.
Click here for further information regarding prescription exemptions and prescription fees.
(correct of 1st April 2017)